The College opened at Liverpool, NSW in 1856. It owed its existence to several people. One was an early settler in Sydney, Thomas Moore, who left his estate for educational purposes. Another was the Anglican Bishop of Sydney, Frederic Barker
During its long history, the College has had twelve Principals and over three thousand graduates.
The College moved from Liverpool to Newtown in 1891 in order to be near the University of Sydney.
Since the late 1950’s there has been a significant extension of the College campus, the growth of a major theological library, an increase in the numbers and qualifications of the faculty, and the introduction of the four year course.
Purchases of property on the southern side of Carillon Avenue have made it possible over the years to expand the Library, Administration and Dining Room facilities and to provide housing for married students and faculty. 1994 saw the opening of the Broughton Knox Teaching Centre. Further development and expansion of the College campus is planned.
The College has rendered its chief service to the Anglican Diocese of Sydney, the majority of whose clergy train at the College. However, the College has also been instrumental in educating many men and women who have served in other parts of Australia and beyond and in other Protestant denominations.
Since 2008, with the support of the Anglican Deaconess Institution Sydney Limited, the College has taken full responsibility for the training and pastoral care of the women students (a responsibility previously shared with Mary Andrews College). The Dean of Women and the Director of the Centre of Women’s Ministries have been appointed to lead this part of the College’s work.